Monday, June 28, 2010

The Swim Spa Fallacy

     You've seen or at least heard of the Swim Spa.  It's a hydrotherapy/exercise product that can be a self-contained, all in one product, like a portable spa. A swim spa can also be an in-ground, custom built product, like a swimming pool.  They are smaller than a pool and able to heat to temperatures like a hot tub. The swim spa will use powerful pumps that move water to create a flowing current one can swim against.  The idea is that it can be used for soaking in hot water, like a hot tub, and it can also be used for exercise, swimming in a stationary manner.  Like running on a tread mill.




     The fallacy in this perception is the water temperature required for soaking comfortably is much higher than the temperature that makes swimming for exercise comfortable.  At your local swimming pool the water temperature is around 82 degrees.  This temperature allows a swimmer to raise his heart rate and get the cardio exercise desired, while not over heating.  A water temperature of 100 - 104 is required to comfortably soak in a hot tub.  Anything lower than body temperature cools you to the point of being chilled if you're not moving or exercising.  So the images many of these swim spa makers present of people enjoying the soak while a family member exercises are not realistic.

     Another issue I have is the constant nature of the water flow.  When I swim laps to exercise I am constantly changing speed.  As I feel winded or tired I slow, as I begin to feel stronger I increase my speed.  I even change strokes, free style for when I'm feeling strong and breast stroke for when I tire.  When water flow is created mechanically it is constant.  The speed of the current does not slow when you swim slower or increase when you swim faster.  It is difficult to use these products the way the makers claim they can be.                                                                                                                            

1 comment:

  1. Everyone can benefit from Physiotherapy whether you are living with a chronic illness, recovering from a work injury or suffering after that weekend hockey game. Physiotherapy benefits include decreasing pain, improving joint mobility, increasing strength and maximising the functional independence.

    Hydrotherapy Exercise Near me

    ReplyDelete